Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Newborn Wonder

What joy there is for the new believer when life is suddenly turned upside down (right-side up, actually) and the Holy Spirit begins to illuminate the Scriptures. I can remember the fascination I felt when I first dove into the Bible after the Lord saved me - what joy of discovery! What's more, decades after conversion, I still find the inspired Word fresh, alive, compelling and delightful (which is not to say that I don't have my moments when my heart and mind are dulled from the cynicism and selfishness to which I am prone).

The authors of "Jonathan Edwards on True Christianity", Owen Strachan and Doug Sweeney hit the nail on the head in their description of this new-found joy:

"The existence that once had no center - or that had a destructive one - now revolves around the person of Jesus Christ, whose work suddenly leaps of every page of the Bible and pours into every corner of life, calling the Christian to experience the joyful process of conformity to the divine will."

2 comments:

semper reformanda said...

would that happen to be one burgundy thompson chain reference bible?!

The Blainemonster said...

It would happen to be just such a Bible...takes one to know one...;)