Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Good Job Dad, We're Late

Two of my five sons I drive to school each morning. They go to a private school that meets in a church just four miles down the road. On a typical morning, the lunches are packed (thanks, hon), the dishes are done (this guy) and I'm ready to roll in plenty of time to leave, but inevitably one of the boys has either: lost one shoe, not brushed his nasty teeth, not found pants to wear, or is nowhere to be found. If we're late, it's never my fault. I mean, really, it isn't.

So, just a few days ago we had a morning where our youngest was more distracted than usual in his preparation to leave and there were many loose ends (including his shoelaces) when it came time to leave. We ended up pulling out of the driveway at 8 a.m., when school is supposed to start. Not too big of a deal, since, as I've already mentioned, we only live four miles away.

We pulled into the parking lot at 8:06, and my dear youngster spies the clock on the dashboard and declares, with much cheek, "Good job, Dad, we're late!"

(Fear not, dear reader, for I dealt with the arrogant eight year old in a manner befitting the situation. However, let us continue on to the point....)

I got to thinking, as I drove away, that my boy had perfectly illustrated for me the way so many of us children of God treat our heavenly Father.

There's no money at the end of the month: Way to go, God, why didn't You provide?
Our spouse's health goes down the tubes: Good job, God, where you have been?
The job opportunity slips through our hands: Great, why didn't you help me, God?

The list goes on and on. Why are so quick to get grumpy with God Almighty? How dare we get snarky with the Savior!

Everyday I successfully deliver my kids to school. Everyday I work to earn the money they live on. Everyday I cook a warm, healthy, satisfying dinner they gobble up and benefit from. Everyday I make sure every one of them is tucked in safely before I lock the front door. The accolades for all I do on their behalf are scarce. But it doesn't matter. The things I do for them aren't dependent on their praise.

God does far more for each one of us on any given day. And I must say, for the most part these graces have nothing to do with whether we acknowledge Him and give thanks for them. But I'll bet we could stand to be a little more thankful and a lot less grumpy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Son, so well said and can just imagine what its like to get all out the door in morn, but they all know what to do to get it done, thanks to you and michele and your training and teaching them to be independent and responsible. Loving you all mom