Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Noah, My Floor Drain, And Cataclysm

I saw an interesting thing in my basement last week. Two, actually: the kids had cleaned the living room and the concrete next to the floor drain in the laundry room is eroding.

Next to the floor drain is a length of PVC that drains condensation from my HVAC system. And when I say "drains", I really mean "drips", and it only does it in the summer when the A/C is running. Basically, the only water coming out of the pipe is a very non-forceful dribble, yet the effect of this dribble over the last 16 years (a mere 16 years) is easily discernible. Observe:


You know, I see something like a drop of water falling an easy one inch to the rock hard concrete below it and how it wears that concrete away and it's not difficult to imagine the damage done on a much grander scale to softer surfaces on planet earth during the time of Noah's Flood when the "fissures of the deep" broke open and the globe was deluged from above and below. It's easy to visualize a great inland sea over North America draining in cataclysmic fashion and carving out something like, say, the Grand Canyon.

The evidence for history as the Bible records it is out there. It's the same evidence everyone has, but what makes a difference is the lens you're using to look at it.

No comments: