Monday, February 22, 2010

The Daily Pressure

"Good men are promised tribulation in this world, and ministers may expect a larger share than others, that they may learn sympathy with the Lord's suffering people, and so may be fitting shepherds of an ailing flock." ~Charles Spurgeon, excerpted from The Minister's Fainting Fits

As a younger man I never dreamed life would be like this - no idea it could be so good, nor so difficult. I had no idea my life story would include some of the startling chapters that have been written. One thing I'm sure of however: my understanding of the Lord's morning-fresh mercies has grown with every turn of the page.

An unlikely choice, the Lord called me to be a pastor. After fifteen years on the job, it still seems awkward for me to actually write that sentence. I'm not sure I'm well suited for the task, though I understand I'm thoroughly equipped through Christ. The burden of shepherding is more, I think, than any of us ever expect. Paul puts it well when he lists his myriad tribulations to the folks at Corinth and ends with the statement that, "Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches." As if having rocks thrown at him and being shipwrecked wasn't enough, he never stopped thinking about and praying for all those people!

Without a doubt it was the hot crucible of his suffering that magnified his ministry and gave him a depth of compassion he'd never imagined. And still his sufferings were no match compared to what the Savior suffered. But where there is suffering with Christ, there is comfort to match!

1 Corinthians 1:3-7
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Blaine,

I never knew you were a pastor.

You're an inspiration to me, as one who seems to have an inward call and is awaiting the external.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking as I read that I most often feel like I don't or shouldn't dare relate to closely to what a Paul or Peter or Ezekiel might have to say... and then I am reminded there are reasons God breathed out His word through forty different men for us to respond to.

So, while I understand that these men are writing God's word and their experiences are far beyond my own... I still need to embrace, learn, draw comfort from the lives of those who have and are following hard after Jesus Christ.

Thanks for running hard Blaine. (and riding hard ;)

The Blainemonster said...

Underdog and Tim -
I give thanks that we're able to encourage and bless one another in this race.

Underdog - I've been a pastor for young people since '95, and an associate at my church. I try hard to distance myself from the stereotypical "Youth Entertainer" of so many Western churches. That being said, there are a lot of Christ-centered men pastoring youth here, faithfully preaching the Gospel and leading kids in holiness, and working to build up the entire body. :)

semper reformanda said...

got me thinking of this john newton hymn (though it's not specifically about those in ministry):

Begone unbelief, my Savior is near,
And for my relief will surely appear:
By faith let me wrestle, with God in the storm
And help me my Savior, the faith to adorn

Though dark be my way, since He is my guide,
'Tis mine to obey, and His to provide;
Though cisterns be broken, and creatures all fail,
The word He has spoken will surely prevail.

Chorus
Begone unbelief, the Savior is here
Though cisterns be broken and creatures all fail
The word He has spoken will surely prevail

Why should I complain of want or distress
Temptation or pain? He told me no less
The heirs of salvation, I know from His word
Through much tribulation must follow their Lord

Since all that I meet will work for my good,
The bitter is sweet, the medicine food;
Though painful at present, will cease before long,
And then, O! how glorious, the Conqueror's song!

http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/chords/b05.pdf

The Blainemonster said...

Kevin - That is awesome; hadn't heard that one before. I'd better go back to igracemusic and brush up on my hymnody!