Thursday, February 11, 2010

How Apt of You

I am a member (current president, in fact) of a local governing body facing some large, complicated and difficult decisions. My fellow board members are good folks who put in a lot of time for no pay. Lately an issue has been set before us that has stirred up a certain element of the populace to foster and foment an agenda that, frankly, misses the point all together. I realize I'm being awfully vague, but the details of the story aren't terribly important. The point I'm about to make, however, is.

A number of e-mails have come my way in the past few weeks that have been dubious, disparaging, and even accusatory in their tone. That kinda wears on a guy after a while. Do you know the feeling? You've worked hard, done your best, weighed all the options and still, somehow, you're an immoral moron. OK, I don't actually think I'm a moron, but the comments our local board has been receiving have been wearing me down.

Until last night. Last night I received one tiny little two sentence e-mail from someone who simply said, "I know these are tough times, just wanted you to know that we are behind you 100%." I responded immediately because that person turned my whole outlook around. It reminded me that the negativity we are facing is from an inconsequentially small group and the vast (let's make that Vast - capital "V") majority is in favor of the direction our board is moving.

It also reminded me of the power of an encouraging word. The words of this man's e-mail were like apples of gold in settings of silver: beautiful, refreshing, treasured. If you have an opportunity soon, serve up something wonderful for somebody else in the form of encouraging words. The tongue holds the power of life and death, after all.

2 comments:

TimW said...

"O Lord GOD, you know" Ez 37:3

The Blainemonster said...

Case in point. Thank you, Tim!