Monday, June 21, 2010

A Fish, A Plant, A Worm & A Scorching Wind


He was reluctant, disobedient, stubborn and pouty, thus creating a perfect opportunity for the grace and mercy of God to shine in the life of Jonah the prophet.

Jonah appeared to suffer from a malady found among many modern day Christians, namely, some sort of schizophrenic religious xenophobia: God has shown His special mercy to me, which makes me special, but you don't deserve it because you're so sinful.

It's obvious from the story that Jonah was ticked off because God didn't vaporize Nineveh. So he's mad that God is merciful.

God, however, keeps moving forward, unfolding His plan and saving people. I love the way the point of God's sovereignty is hammered home in Jonah's story with four perfectly placed blows: "...the LORD provided a great fish . . . a vine . . . a worm . . . a scorching east wind."

It's easy to accept the first two; they were salvation and comfort for Jonah. But what's up with the herbicidal worm and the hot breeze? That's just not very nice! But, are we to accept good from God, and not trouble?

The point is that wounds from God are faithful: He supplies the provision that saves me as well as the provision that chastens and changes me.

What right do I have to be angry and troubled about discomfort? Does not the Lord still cause (even send!) all these things to work together for my good? And shouldn't I be slightly more disturbed by the lost all around me than my own measly troubles? Furthermore, when the breeze blows hot, I should be content that God is mightier than I, much more merciful, and faithful to complete His work in me and others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'm learning to appreciate the wounds of a friend, the Word is a powerful and effective means of addressing my need for sanctification.
I appreciate your observations here... I am looking forward to letting this book of Jonah help me see more clearly who God is and who I am. Thanks Blaine!

The Blainemonster said...

I really like Jonah because I think I'd be a lot like him - which, upon reflection, is not perhaps such a good thing! :D I've never imagined myself an Isaiah or Ezekiel, but Jonah, yeah.