Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Man's Anger

I've been here before, but as a male of the human race, I keep coming back to it: "Man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:20

Obviously it is significant that Scripture is specific about mentioning man's anger, and not just anger in general.

I know my own innate anger doesn't bring about anything good. For me, it amounts to headaches, spiritual blockades, violations of Ephesians 5:25, and further sins. Next to and perhaps more powerful than sexual temptation, the impulse for anger is a major hurdle for most men. It is the opposite of Christlike character in that it seeks to control, twist, overthrow, exalt self and wreak vengeance. Not exactly what we have described in Matthew 5:3-10 or Galatians 5:22-23.

So that's man's anger in a nutshell. What about God's anger? I believe righteous anger brings glory to God, freedom to captives and is even marked by humility. Righteous anger strikes at the things that destroy life and defile what is holy. Righteous anger is the sworn enemy of sin, and therefore, man's anger. One is holy, one is far from it.

How do you know when your anger is holy or not? Well, first of all, what exactly is the object of your anger? Are you wanting to strike out to save yourself or someone else? What would diffuse the anger for you? Revenge or real justice?

I want to be angry, I just want to be angry at the right things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch... this truth hurts really good. Thanks, I want to be angry at the right things too.

The Blainemonster said...

Tim - I know right? It probably sounds like I go around growling continually but I really dont :D . But I know that when I am angry, I usually end up sinning in some other way as well! Dangerous territory. ;p

Anonymous said...

truly dangerous territory (grin), I was counseled from Prov 30:33 this morning, so I pass it along. I can see times for me where initial righteous anger has taken me further than I should have gone and the result has been strife. Thanks to God, who forgives, sanctifies and preserves us. Blessings!