Friday, May 4, 2012

Righteously Ticked Off?


Making the rounds yesterday was the story of George Will's son Jon, who has Down Syndrome.  It really is a beautiful story (written by George), and worth five minutes of your time.  Part of it made me angry, though.  I mean it really ticked me off.  But the part that made me mad was only tangentially connected to John's story, a brief commentary on our society and the cruelty of sinful mankind.

I'll quote it here in a second, but first I'll add the context.  George explains how, near the time of Jon's birth, prenatal testing that could pinpoint Down Syndrome was coming into vogue.  Also, Jon was born just months before Roe v. Wade would open the door for the "casual destruction of pre-born babies." (Well put, George)

Here's the quote where my ire was exercised:

  "This era has coincided, not just coincidentally, with the full, garish flowering of the baby boomers’ vast sense of entitlement, which encompasses an entitlement to exemption from nature’s mishaps, and to a perfect baby. So today science enables what the ethos ratifies, the choice of killing children with Down syndrome before birth. That is what happens to 90 percent of those whose parents receive a Down syndrome diagnosis through prenatal testing."

90 PERCENT! Did that just state that 90% of pre-born babies "diagnosed" with Down Syndrome are aborted???  The judgment that will one day be meted out on that evil terrifies me.

All sin is evil and an affront to our holy God and He is perfectly just in whatever fashion He determines that sin should be punished ... but it just feels like for some things, that wrath will be especially hot.

2 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

Preach it brother.

My Uncle David was a Down Syndrome child - #11 out of 11. He was precious to the whole family - a gift to them all.

Thanks for posting about Jon Will and that appalling statistic. I had no idea.

The Blainemonster said...

Yeah, I didn't either...unbelievable!