Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Last October

Ahhhh October. My favorite month of the year. It's the time when the mornings are brisk and refreshing, the night sky is sparkling and fireplaces are lit once again. These signs of October are a harbinger of the quiet season that is coming: Winter, when we huddle indoors behind lit windows or venture out bundled into the crackling cold. I absolutely love it. :)

God established the seasons, and each one is beautiful in its diversity.

Well, enough waxing that elephant. Several years ago I wrote a poem one night after spending a few minutes staring at a sparkling starlit sky . . . so here it is:

There was a night, last October,
the starlight pierced - do you remember?
The air was clear and cool and still.
It made the music of the stars more delicate and fragile:
the crystal sound of a string plucked,
the sweet tremor of a stellar chord struck.
And, oh, the moon was the descant
high and beautiful and distant
that made me want to sing along
but my voice was not that strong.
So I just stood and listened with my eyes,
longingly gazing at that
shimmering sky.

No comments: