Thursday, October 16, 2008

300: In The Bible, They WIN!

The story of Gideon is fascinating. If you read carefully and really press the juice from the grapes in Judges 6 through 8, you see a man who is humble yet heroic, obedient yet reluctant, daring yet doubtful.

Gideon is asked to do an amazing thing by the LORD: rise up against an oppressive army and bring freedom to the land. So, he summons men of Israel in the vicinity and gathers a sizable force of 32,000 men. Now, at this point, can you imagine what Gideon might have been thinking . . .
"At first, I sure thought this was a crazy thing God asked me to do, but look at all the men He's brought me to fight against the Midianites. Cool. We should be able to handle this!"
However,
"The Lord said to Gideon, 'You have too many men for me to deliver MIdian into their hands.'" Judges 7:2
Then the LORD proceeds to whittle Gideon's fighting force down to 300 men. Overwhelming victory was the result. And, 300 or even just three, it didn't matter! It's all about God's glory anyway (SDG!) and victory rests with Him exclusively. I wonder if, in David's time of travail before the Lord when he presumptuously counted his army, he remembered Gideon and what God accomplished with 300 men. I wonder if Gideon's story was part of what pricked his heart at that time as he was reminded afresh that God doesn't esteem a vast army, only a heart that chases after His own.

Without any further exposition, I just want to shout: OK, God, remove all my props! Teach me to trust You and not the assets I perceive to be my source of confidence! Help me to see with spiritual eyes the "chariots of fire" that Elisha's servant saw!

I'm afraid I spend too much time each day analyzing and weighing the "size of my army", prognosticating success or failure based on inconsequential factors such as my (little) bank account, which car is at the shop this week, my own mood, a headache, personality conflicts, and the "madness of self-confidence."

Give me the high-spirited God-inspired confidence of Jonathan, for the Lord will save, whether by many or by few!

No comments: