Monday, December 21, 2009

Heaven Is The Face

Today is winter solstice here in my part of the world: the shortest day of the year, more darkness on this day than on any other. A lot of folks complain about winter, but I love it. I love the long dark evenings when homes glow with light from within and you have to bundle up in thick coats to go outside. I love the steam that comes up from my coffee or tea or cocoa and I love the expectation of holidays and food enjoyed with healthy doses of laughter with my friends.

As a little boy (well, even now...) I remember being filled with the wonder and mystery and expectation that this time of year brought with it - knowing something wonderful and beautiful was happening around me and that it was a whole lot bigger than I was. I remember feeling like I might burst if I took it all in at once.

For children, Christmas is a season of great expecation. I find that same feeling rising up in me when I think about the day I'll enter heaven. Think about it - it's almost too good to be true, yet, like Christmas morning, it will happen. Imagine children coming down the stairs and seeing a tree and lights and gifts and smelling warm aromas and thinking, "this is the best day of the year!"

Christmas used to make my heart ache and yearn. Now heaven captures me in the same way. I want it to come so badly. I wish it would get here soon. I know that everything I've ever wanted is there. Maranatha!

Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Heaven Is the Face" (kleenex advisory in effect):

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm... my Christmas wish this year... to see Jesus coming in the clouds... to rejoice in the twinkling of an eye... to know the flesh and sin are gone forever and Glory awaits for eternity.
Thanks for this reminder Blaine.

Anonymous said...

sorry for the back to back comment, but this morning I saw this verse in a Piper article on 'What Does Jesus Want for Christmas'... too wonderful to keep silent about... Piper points to Jesus' prayers and specifically John 17... this verse was a real blessing this morning...

Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am (v. 24).

My Christmas wish and Jesus' are the same... by Grace alone! Glory to God in the highest! PEACE.

The Blainemonster said...

Amen to that Tim! Blessings to you.

Rob Peck said...

I purchased this album a couple of weeks ago and it has not left the CD player in my car since. This song is a tear jerker to be sure. The line that gets me is at the end of the song where he is singing about all of the bad things that we suffer here on earth no longer being present in heaven and he ends with, "No more enemey"! Amen and amen.

Thanks Blain and thanks Tim for sharing!

The Blainemonster said...

It's gonna be a great day, brothers!