Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Well Traveled, Still Wonderful

A blogging friend of mine sparked a thought process in my mind this morning.


Most of the folks reading this have travelled across these United States on four wheels (or maybe two if you're especially blessed) at a high rate of speed. In one day of travel your mind can be dazzled by the vastness of the Great Plains, overwhelmed by the majesty of the Rockies or the 'Dacks, and thrilled by the sight of the Atlantic or Pacific ocean. One of God's humble poets, Rich Mullins, wrote a beautiful song about our country. Funnily enough, the video was filmed mostly in Ireland ;)



One of my favorite lines from the song is, "There's so much beauty around us, for just two eyes to see, everywhere I go, I'm looking. . . " It's so true. And when we take the time to step from our vehicles and lace up our hiking boots, we begin to see things we never noticed at 70mph. There's just no end to the wonder that is all around.

In very much the same way, the Word of God is an endlessly delightful journey. Its vast expanse it's filled with amazing vistas all along the way. But like flying along the interstate in North America, sometimes our hearts and minds become dull to what seems familiar, though the sights are no less majestic. I might fly past a familiar Bible story or a passage that I've memorized simply through frequent use. It's in times like these that I'm learning to slow down, lace up my boots, and take a stroll, allowing the Holy Spirit to show me new wonders. It's refreshing and humbling to be reminded that I haven't learned all there is to know: "Oh the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!"

I know that the young trees I plant in my yard are better nourished by a tiny trickle of water from a hose that saturates the ground and soaks the roots, rather than a five gallon bucket of water dumped on it all at once. I should realize the same is true with my own soul - a good long soak near the streams of living water is often what I need. Furthermore, I shouldn't let the wonder of God's Word be lost to my heart, no matter how often I travel there.

4 comments:

Rob Peck said...

I love it brother! Thanks!

TimW said...

Well, without giving up the two-wheeled jaunts through our Father's majestic creation ;)...
I joyfully agree that good long soaks in God's Word are essential for spiritual growth/health. It has been the quiet hours in God's word and prayer that have opened my ears and eyes to hear and see God's voice speaking... to me! How incredibly precious is that!

Along these lines, I'm listening through a sermon where the pastor really hits this need head-on and with much gentle firmness.
http://www.cornerstonesimi.com/special/media_player.html, its entitled 'The Most Important Lesson I Could Ever Teach'. I'm pretty knew to this guy, but I've been blessed to listen to this man preach to his congregation.
Blessings to you in Christ, Blaine. Thanks for stirring me up this morning.

The Blainemonster said...

Good to hear from you, fellas. I'll listen to that sermon this morning, Tim. Thanks!

TimW said...

Man, I'm trusting that God will bless us with a time of fellowship together here on this earth before too long...
Rob... any chance you've got some two-wheel experience in those bones of yourn?