Monday, December 28, 2009

My Myopia

Sometimes I just can't stand myself. I become so short-sighted and self-focused. Reading the Word, I find myself hoping eagerly that it will put me in a good light, that it will make me feel good about myself. It's appalling to discover myself thinking like the Pharisee, looking around and comparing myself to others who are "worse" than me. It reminds me of just how desperately I need Christ, how much I stand in need of mercy, and how amazing is God's great love in seeking me and saving me. After all these years, I'm still one ornery critter. One thing is for certain though: my capacity for praising the Savior grows in direct proportion to my understanding of how deep my fallenness is. Thinking of the adoption and justification that is mine through Christ opens my heart up wide and helps me see things the right way.

2 comments:

THEOparadox said...

Blaine,

You've been reading my mind . . .

Someone once told me there is a deeper knowledge of our own sinfulness as we draw closer to Christ. So, the more truly holy we become, the less holy we think we are - and the more we depend on grace (which in turn causes us to draw closer to Christ, grow in holiness, see our sinfulness, depend on grace, etc.).

Blessings,
Derek

The Blainemonster said...

Derek - I'm so thankful He is severely gentle with us ;)