Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Proper Use of Sin

"They demolished the sacred stone of Baal and tore down the temple of Baal, and people have used it for a latrine to this day." 2 Kings 10:27

It's been a rough, tough, busy week. The vagaries of life have shaken me up and have, unfortunately, given me opportunity to demonstrate my sinful nature. I've been pouty, angry, unloving and selfish. Even so, I believe the Lord has been gracious and helped me to grow in spite of myself.

When Jehu and his posse cleaned up the Israeli countryside by razing the temples of Baal and annihilating the priests of Baal, they were completely thorough. The Scripture above is the best ending I can imagine for this religious cleansing. It's the end of all idolatry and false teaching. Down the toilet.

What on earth, you may ask, does this have to do with having a hard week? Well, it's comforting for me to know that someday my sinful proclivities are going to end up the same way as Baal and his prophets. In a steaming pile.

I hate my sin. I love my Savior. And I smile knowing that day by day, He is defeating sin in my life and assigning it to the ash heap.

2 comments:

Rob Peck said...

Thank you for the scripture brother! Indeed a proper ending to the sin in our lives! We can not hate sin enough, we can not love our Savior enough, but yet we are able to have victory by God's grace! It is good to have brothers to travel this road with!
Thanks again!
Blessings!

The Blainemonster said...

We're all in this together! :)