Friday, December 11, 2009

Maker of the Universe

This is a post from the summer of '08, but I love the song and it's worth sharing again. . .

That song did it again. I haven't heard this song in a few years, having lost the CD (rats!), but I remember that every time I'd listen to it, I would be stirred by the first few notes and the stirring wouldn't stop until the song was finished. So this morning I find Phil's video for "Maker of the Universe" and the chills and tears began again as he sings the first two lines . . .



The Maker of the universe,
As Man for man was made a curse.
The claims of Law which He had made,
Unto the uttermost He paid.
His holy fingers made the bough,
Which grew the thorns that crowned His brow.
The nails that pierced His hands were mined
In secret places He designed.

He made the forest whence there sprung
The tree on which His body hung.
He died upon a cross of wood,
Yet made the hill on which it stood.
The sky that darkened o'er His head,
By Him above the earth was spread.
The sun that hid from Him it's face
By His decree was poised in space.

The spear which spilled His precious blood
Was tempered in the fires of God.
The grave in which His form was laid
Was hewn in rocks His hands had made.

The throne on which He now appears
Was His for everlasting years.
But a new glory crowns His brow
And every knee to Him shall bow.

2 comments:

cjbooth85 said...

mmmmmmmmmm, that's afavorite Phil Keaggy song. I have the same reaction 'every time' too. I guess it is from a poem by someone named F.W. Pitt, whom I have never heard of apart from Phil's song. I wonder if there is more treasure to be dug up?

Thanks for your blog................

The Blainemonster said...

@cjbooth - Great to hear from you! I'm going to do a little googling and see what I can find on F.W. Pitt :)