Monday, January 19, 2009

Shun Professionalism

"We pastors are being killed by the professionalizing of the pastoral ministry . . . professionalism has nothing to do with the essence and heart of the Christian ministry. The more professional we long to be, the more spiritual death we will leave in our wake. For there is no professional childlikeness, there is no professional tenderheartedness. There is no professional panting after God." ~ John Piper

This quote resonates with me today as I consider my life in the context of ministry. When I take a few quiet moments to think about how I spend my days working in "ministry", as I did last night, I really wonder how much of what I do is what I ought to be doing. What exactly does the calling of a pastor entail biblically in a modern setting?

This kind of reflection drives me to consider several things, and here they are in no particular order:

~My commitment to solid, Scriptural teaching and practice must be paramount. I dare not waste any time I have in front of teenagers or children. Oh yeah, adults too, I guess. Biblically, this is the essence of the Biblical pastor - teaching truth, preparing others for service. Here is where I begin to cogitate on the subtle differences between shepherding and leading.

~Am I really meant to spend so much time dealing with difficult people about apparently meaningless issues? I don't suppose anyone is immune to this, but the lion's share of it seems to happen in the Church (forgive me if I am cynical . . .)

~What is the real impact on my family of being in the ministry? I have always been very careful with my priorities, but I wonder if I could give my sons even more of myself if I worked a job that I could leave at the office everyday. I am not one easily stressed, but I know that ministry can be stressful, and not just for the minister, but also his family.

~God has called me to ministry for a season, my family for a lifetime, and Himself for eternity. I think my decisions should be based on this hierarchy.

So, there you have it. A few things bouncing around in my cranium. I love what Jesus has done for me. May He give me an outlet to share this in whatever setting or vocation I find myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so stumbled through these same thoughts so much in the last two months. They resonate with me. Thank you for sharing.

The Blainemonster said...

Crazy, isn't it? :)