Monday, January 26, 2009

Thinking All Wrong

I had a mild epiphany this weekend.

Staring down the barrel of some difficult situations lately, I've been wondering what I've done wrong and how it is that I've failed so miserably. Surely this smothering hopelessness is my fault!

Well, the epiphany happened in the car with the music up loud (Skillet, Whispers In The Dark). The Lord sort of suddenly revealed to me that I've been thinking all wrong about my circumstances.

It sounds so elementary, but what I realized was that difficulty is not defeat. In fact, opposition is actually opportunity.

In truth, I should regard these times as the battle I've been given to fight. I've been placed at a position on the front line. It is now my commission from heaven to fight, defend and win. I must say, this does appeals to my male sensibilites.

All of a sudden it was as if I realized, "Wait - I don't have a knife to my throat - I have a sword in my hand - let's get to work!" I was stirred with all kinds of courage. The change in perspective was a weight lifted off my chest. I felt like I could stand, narrow my gaze, grip the hilt and prepare to defend the line.

Of course life is hard. I think it's supposed to be. I wasn't left here to just wait things out. No true believer is. We are meant to fight for and defend our families, spouses, churches and ultimately the Truth of the Gospel itself.

Almighty God, help me, though I fear, to fight bravely!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this....it's encouraging to me. I've been facing battles lately that I never expected and don't feel equiped for. You authenticity lifts me. Thank you.

The Blainemonster said...

That's cool. Just when you think life has reached a point of stasis, *POOF!* :) At least looking back, I can see that the hardest changes have been the best ones.

jennamduncan said...

i really liked this entry! first of all, great song (skillet, whispers in the dark)! :) second, i definitely think this is what we need to hear more often! when the battle gets the hardest, that's when the really good stuff can happen, too!

word verification- housnoft
no real definition, i just thought it was fun to say! :P

The Blainemonster said...

Housnoft - The sound an anteater makes when it sneezes.

Anonymous said...

indeed!

"If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons...Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed."

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=heb+12%3A3-14

Anonymous said...

Did you take the picture of the hogsback? IF so where was it. I think I have been there. PS look up Phil. 1:28. Preached on it Sunday think you might find it a great encouragement to your thoughts.

The Blainemonster said...

Brian - Yes, I took that on my motorcycle trip to the Badlands last fall. That was near one of the many pull-offs on the route that skirts the Badlands. Those are my boots and oil splattered jeans!

Phil 1:28~Very good! And verse 29 too. It's been granted to me to believe, suffer and be saved. Awesome.