Tuesday, January 13, 2009

T.S. Eliot and Self-Importance

"Half the harm done in this world is due to people that want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them, or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." ~from T.S. Eliot's "The Cocktail Party"I, as well as you, have known many folks who fall into this category. I myself have tiptoed in and out of this territory from time to time. There are, however, those who seem to exist there and it must be a strange place to live. To observe them is somewhat entertaining, certainly puzzling, and to experience them firsthand is often frustrating. They confound, they drain, they mystify. They serve as a warning to the rest of us who sometimes feel the need to toot our own horn, lest we hire a band to follow us around tooting many horns and singing our own praises.

:) I vent, therefore I am.

I am, therefore I pray almost daily that God would keep me from giving in to the monster of pride that still lurks somewhere within.

3 comments:

jennamduncan said...

that is good! to tell you the truth i was just thinking about this today! :)

Anonymous said...

wow, very poignant...very good. I'm going to link this...Hope your having a great New Year!

The Blainemonster said...

Yep! So far, so good. But I'm sure it'll be good all the way through. :)