Sunday, January 10, 2010

Amazing Things Above

I just witnessed a perfect winter sunset: scattered clouds full of texture on the horizon lit by cold fire and the colors of amaranth, amethyst, azure, bittersweet, byzantine, coral and vermilion; black trees, naked and silhouetted against the blue ice of the lake and the flaming sky; flights of geese crossing all of this color, immune to the cold; the whole scene shifting subtly from fantastic to phenomenal.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a sunset quite like this one. Ten minutes of sublime perfection. Ten minutes. Then in moments it has disappeared. Right now I am so looking forward to seeing colors that have yet to be named, to beauty that never fades, to rapture that has no ebb, to perfection untainted by corruption. I'm setting my mind on things above and my Redeemer who will preserve me and take me there someday.

5 comments:

Rob Peck said...

Brother, I often have these same thoughts! I live in the land of beatiful sunsets. The picture on my blog was taken from my parents front yard and there are often sunsets there that almost bring tears for thier beauty. The heavens declare the beauty of the Lord! I love that every now and again we are allowed a glimps of what is to come.

Rob Peck said...

Hey again Bro. Don't know if you read Mark Altrogs blog or not but his post today is very relevent! http://www.theblazingcenter.com/.

The Blainemonster said...

Hi Rob! That was a great post at The Blazing Center - I hadn't seen his blog before, but I'll be checking it out :)

TimW said...

I am going to need a color chart and a dictionary to appreciate the description you gave Blaine... incredible! I am able to rejoice in the Lord simply knowing His goodness demonstrated to you in those 10 minutes. Thanks for bringing me to worship.

And Rob... I agree that the beauty of the ADK is incredible... (though I have to wonder how you can see past those 'buzzard-sized' mosquitos you guys raise up there to keep the tourist trade to a minimum, grin).

The Blainemonster said...

Hey Tim - Well, I cannot tell a lie - I searched "color chart" on wikipedia . . . I was sitting in front of my computer and just couldn't use normal colors for a description - they just didn't do it justice. So, I looked at a color chart and when I saw a color that I had seen in the sky, it went in the post! :) It's just another demonstration of the inability of language to adequately describe beauty, much less the beauty of Christ!