Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fear the Flatterer

Sometimes instead of a compliment, we need a critique. We so easily fall prey to the praise of men, as if we have truly attained or accomplished something remarkable. It's tempting to live in the imaginary stature that others assign to us, whether through flattery or honest praise. However, we must keep ourselves in check, reign in our pride, and honor only God, from whom comes our very breath.

David Livingstone was both criticized and awarded many high honors. His accomplishments brought him fame and a small fortune, something he never, ever sought. In regard to his critics, he had this to say:

"I like to hear that some abuse me now, and say that I am no Christian. Many good things were said of me which I did not deserve, and I feared to read them. I shall read every word I can on the other side, and that will prove a sedative to what I was forced to hear of an opposite tendency."

Read that again if you need to - Livingstone feared to read the good things said about him - feared his own pride - feared what flattery might do to him.

1 Corinthians 4:7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?

2 comments:

THEOparadox said...

Blaine,

Here's a compliment, a critique, and a thought . . .

Compliment: Great post! (Seriously - this is not flattery).
Critique: You misspelled "Reign in our pride." The proper spelling would be "Rein" (I know, I'm a nit picker!).
Thought: What we often do is REIGN in our pride (i.e., set ourselves up as authority and king where we're not). What we need to do is REIN in our pride (i.e., pull it back and then strangle it to death with the strong cords of Gospel-induced humility).

Don't you love the way God uses even our mistakes to help others see things they need to see?

Blessings,
Derek

The Blainemonster said...

Augh! Embarrassing! I'm a nitpicker on spelling, too. But I suppose if I'm going to misspell something, it may as well have an application! :)
Thanks, Derek.