Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Backbone

If you know me at all, you also know that I'm a little bit of a Bear Grylls fan. I like watching Man vs. Wild, but I've enjoyed reading Bear's books even more. Between the covers of Facing the Frozen Ocean and Facing Up (aka "The Kid Who Climbed Everest" in the States - somehow I got my hands on the U.K. version...) is where I've really learned about the kind of 'bloke' that Bear Grylls is. Now, I don't intend to wax eloquent about Bear - no man is really worth that, no matter how great he is - but I will state that I admire the man for the things he's accomplished, for the way he demonstrates his faith and for his devotion to his wife and children.


When Bear climbed Mt. Everest, he was the youngest Briton to ever do so (not sure if the record still stands . . . nope Google says there have been a couple others since Bear did . . . ) and when he returned from Nepal he was repeatedly asked, "Did you find God on the mountain?" He says no, he had met God as a teenager and God is with him wherever he is. He goes on:

"If you ask me, did He help me up there, then the answer would be yes. In the words of the great John Wesley when asked by some cynic whether God was his crutch, he gently replied 'No, my God is my backbone.' He was right."

Way to go, Bear - may God help all of us men to walk daily in strength and holiness!

No comments: